More Than a Century of Caring ...
In response to an overwhelming need in the community, the women of
the Methodist Church opened Colorado Conference Deaconess Hospital and
Nurses Training School on Institute Street. One student nurse and a
superintendent nurse staffed the hospital, which had a capacity for 30
beds but opened with eight (including one designated pediatric bed).
1907 - 1911
General William Palmer, founder of Colorado Springs, donated land
for a hospital at the present site of Memorial Hospital Central on East
Boulder Street. Construction was completed in 1911, and the hospital
was renamed Beth-El.
A Crippled Children's Ward and Pavilion, jointly staffed by Beth-El
Hospital and the Visiting Nurse Association, opened for children with
special needs, establishing a commitment to caring for children that
would continue throughout the next century.
An observation hospital, staffed by Beth-El, opened to treat
contagious diseases and was funded and constructed by the City of
Colorado Springs and El Paso County. This community extension of the
hospital was instrumental in treating local patients suffering from the
worldwide influenza epidemic of 1918, which killed more than 20 million
people, including 675,000 Americans.
1925 - 1926
Beth-El Hospital opened the four-story National Methodist Sanitarium
for the treatment of tuberculosis patients. The state-of -the-art
facility was located on 29 acres east of the hospital (now the United
States Olympic Training Center), and attracted patients from across the
Daniels Hall, built with a gift from Mr. and Mrs. C.W. Daniels, expanded the treatment and care of crippled children.
Colorado Springs City Council voted to purchase Beth-El Hospital for
$76,500 and re-named it Memorial Hospital, in honor of the men and
women of Colorado Springs who lost their lives in World War II. The
hospital and sanitarium, staffed by 145 employees, had a total of 177
beds and 17 bassinets.
1946 - 1949
Voters approved city operation of the hospital, creating a citizen's
board of trustees. They also approved a three-story hospital addition,
referred to as the Sunshine Wing.
City Council approved $600,000 in revenue bonds to make improvements and add 60 beds to Memorial Hospital.
1965 - 1967
The Junior League of Colorado Springs established the Memorial
Hospital Auxiliary to help provide service to Memorial and its
patients. In 1967, a junior volunteer program began.
In response to population growth and the needs of the community,
voters approved a $15 million bond issue to rapidly expand services, as
well as funds for a parking garage and the construction of a
seven-floor patient tower, which expanded the number of beds to 315.
1974 - 1979
New services were added, including a Neonatal Intensive Care Nursery
and a 24/7 Emergency and Trauma Center. The north patient tower opened
and housed the state's only Pediatric Intensive Care Unit outside of
Denver. Memorial's survival rates for babies born between one and two
pounds soared by 200 percent over the next few years.
1981 - 1984
Memorial launched its open heart surgery program. High-tech
transportation services began for critically ill and injured newborns,
children and pregnant women in premature labor. Memorial received Level
III designation for the highest level of nursery care available in a
non-teaching hospital. At the beginning of the 1980s, Memorial employed
873 people and realized a net operating revenue of approximately $21
1987 - 1988
Memorial received Level II trauma designation for the Emergency and Trauma Center and opened the Family Birth Center.
1992 - 1997
In 1992, the Memorial Cancer Center opened to expand the hospital's
cancer services. Construction of a second seven-story tower was
completed in 1997. The new patient wing opened with additional surgery
suites and expanded space in laboratory, radiology and cardiology
departments. The Rehabilitation Patient Care unit opened, and the
Intensive Care Unit moved to its expanded space in the new tower.
Memorial opened Printers Park Medical Plaza and Surgery Center,
featuring outpatient surgery, radiology, rehabilitation and
occupational medicine, laboratory services and physician offices.
Memorial Hospital was named as one of the Top 100 cardiac hospitals
in the nation and announces plans for a Children's Hospital. The
Briargate Medical Campus opened to serve the city's fast-growing
northeast suburbs. A new parking facility opened on the main Boulder
Memorial received national designation for a children’s hospital by
the National Accreditation of Children’s Hospitals and Related
Institutions (NACHRI). Named Colorado Springs Children’s Hospital at
Memorial Hospital, this dedicated children’s care center reflected
Memorial’s deepened commitment to enhancing the health and well being
of our community’s children, as well as ensuring they have easy access
to the specialized care they need.
Memorial Hospital became Memorial Health System with its
significantly expanded geographical presence throughout the community.
Additionally, Memorial Health System established a partnership with The
Children’s Hospital (in Denver) to jointly manage southern Colorado’s
only children’s hospital, now called Memorial Hospital for Children in
partnership with The Children’s Hospital.
2007 was a huge year for Memorial and the Colorado Springs
community. In January, Memorial Health System opened a new emergency
department on its Central campus. With the busiest emergency department
in the state and one of the busiest in the nation, Memorial Hospital
Central more than doubled the size of the previous emergency department
with five separate, specialized care units—pediatrics, trauma/cardiac,
behavioral/substance abuse and two general emergency. Housed in
Memorial Hospital Central’s new east tower, the new emergency
department features a separate area for children to be treated, private
rooms and secure access.
In April, Memorial opened the community’s first new hospital in decades and
the first hospital in northern Colorado Springs—Memorial Hospital
North. Late in the year, Memorial Hospital Central opened its new East
Tower. This became the centralized and expanded home for Memorial
Hospital for Children, as well as women’s services, the birth center
and physician practices.
During first quarter, the second building on the Memorial Hospital
North campus opened: Medical Office Building One. This office building
is home to numerous physician offices and will soon open an ambulatory
surgery center. It’s conveniently located just steps away from Memorial
Hospital North and in the heart of the Briargate community.